Is it worth?

Recently I read a very good article on career switching in Pagalguy and felt like scribbling my thoughts on this subject. As many others around, I am from the IT background. Nice job, well paid and pretty satisfied with the work. The amount of effort put in to get into a good b school is really huge. It will take at least an year starting from the preparation for GMAT, taking the exam, applying to the colleges, the research efforts to identify which all colleges to apply, the essays, recommendations etc. After doing all these things, there is no guarantee that you will get into a good college. MBA aspirants, I am not becoming a pessimist and don’t want to let you down. I am just scribbling my thoughts on this. There is fierce competition out there to get into a good b school esp. for Indian students from the IT background, which constitutes the largest pool of applicants in any international business school. To get an admission, I need to project myself different from my peers and need to convince the admission committee that I am the best candidate. So these are my challenges which I want to get through by fall of 2008 (knock on wood). After getting through, the challenges are to face the situations like out of job during the course time (1-2years), huge loan for financing the education and taking care of the family etc and the biggest challenge is to get a good job and everyone banks on this for greener pastures.

So coming back to the topic whether its worth and will it do any good for my career? Thinking about the 2-3years of effort, the debt and many other difficulties on my way, I still feel it WILL. It might take 5years to get out of the debt, but I still strongly believe it’s the best investment I am gonna make.
I know there are too many things to worry about, but the idea of change is what’s pushing me so hard to get through. One of my friends recently told a very casual statement while having a couple of beers; you cannot go wrong with education. I thought about this for a while and felt he is correct. I might have to live with the debt burden for another 5 years, but in the long term I feel I will taste the juice of success.
Meeting new people with the same wavelength of mine, understanding a new economy, being in a new country and above all back to the college life, these are some of the things which keep me inspired.

I am signing off with the few lines from Swami Vivekananda

When I asked god for strength
He gave me difficult situations to face

When I asked god for wealth
He showed me how to work hard

When I asked god for favors
He showed me opportunities to Work hard

4 comments:

Srikanth said...

long live ur 'gyani' friend. good luck with your apps!!

Achyuth said...

good one again man.. knowing you, am sure this reflects what you are really going thru now.. making others think too.. ;)

Tedy Kanjirathinkal said...

pudu, nice reflections, man !

Seena said...

Good one sreenath!!