and the journey begins!!!!

I am through with my diagnostic test today. Got a score of 570, not sure whether it’s a good score to start with or not. In the diagnostic test, I was tired and then somehow wanted to finish the test. Now I have realized the importance of keeping my mind concentrated during the whole exam (4hrs).
One of the great things happened today. I met my mentor Arun. He is gem of a guy. I really don’t have words to describe him. We met at a restaurant for a casual discussion on the preparation strategies, general career advice, choosing the b schools etc. I am really impressed by this guy. He has got a huge network. We spent 4.5hrs on the same table talking. One of the interesting things which came out for discussion is "Whether we need an MBA to succeed in life". He responded with a nice statement "I am married to my career but I am flirting with my MBA". Actually if you have the will to succeed, no one can stop you. But if you need an accelerated career graph or a career shift, MBA would definitely help.In the back of my mind I always had this question, whether a 40lakh MBA is worth or not (as mentioned in the earlier post). I couldn’t see a better guy to post this question. He responded back, asking me another question. How long do you plan to work in your career? I told him, may be till the age of 35-40 and then wanted to setup my own shop. So it would be like another 30years or so. The answer to my question lied in my last statement. If I am planning to work for another 30years, there is no question of whether a 40lakh MBA is worth it or not. This MBA degree will come to be of use in every phase of your career. I have never thought about the same in this perspective. To add to this, it’s a fact that, the 80% of the wealth comes from the last 15 yrs of your career.Then the discussion slowly shifted to personal life, time management, the four quadrants discussed by steven covey in 7 habits of a highly effective people. We talked about our reading habits, the forums we visit regularly, extra curricular activities, my trading strategies and interests in the stock market. He has a blog askpsycho.blogspot.com. We ended the conversation with me thanking for his time.
With god’s grace, I hope he is successful in his career and wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

No comments: